Thursday, July 10, 2008

a crafty story

I was lucky enough to grow up with a very crafty mom. She taught me to use found materials and to upcycle (long before that was a word!). She made my sisters and I curtains, matching easter dresses with hats (a little sound of music), halloween costumes (for our friends too!), scarfs and blankets (the woman can knit at unusually fast speeds!) and always added a little crafty to our school projects. My mom also taught me to sew, make paper, crochet and decoupage (among other things!). I am always learning new crafts and adding to my craft library. I love books, especially craft ones!  

I have also been sitting for little ones since I was 12 years old. My little sister (now 17!) is 8 years younger than me. I had plenty of opportunity to practice my sitting and sistering skills with her. We are still very close. I recently taught her to sew. She made an awesome tote with octopus applique. I have experience working with children ages 6 months and older. I have met many families that I still keep in contact with. I look forward to meeting and crafting with you!

Happy Crafting! 
~ the Crafty Sitter

2 comments:

Elena Hall said...

Melissa,
I'm so proud of you.... I recommend you in a jiffy..... You're great with kids.. I've seen you in action.... a lot of people here in our hometown still remember you fondly as the "Best Babysitter in Town"....
Love your Mom

tamara s. said...

Very very cool, Mel! I love this idea and even if you weren't my sister (and if I had kids) - I would TOTALLY hire you as the most awesome sitter in the world. What fun for kids to learn to craft with their sitter! I love you. You make me proud.